Italian Roots and Canadian Blossoms: a History of Brantford's Italian-Canadian Community

After finding my grandparents in the 1921 Canadian census, I decided to see what other resources were available for Brantford, Ontario, Canada.  So, I went straight to the FamilySearch Catalog and found a book available entitled  "Italian Roots and Canadian Blossoms: a History of Brantford's Italian-Canadian Community".  That sounded like the perfect book for me!!
Unfortunately it was only available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.  I googled the title and found several used copies of the book available for purchase. For the mere cost of .99 plus a few dollars shipping and handling I was able to order the book.  And, what a find!!

It actually listed my grandparents in a city directory from 1935-1940 and my grandfather is mentioned in a section regarding the Son's of Italy.  He was the first Venerable or President of the Son's of Italy lodge in Brantford.  After getting the book I found it was available online HERE.   You can even search the book and find peoples names.  Give it a try, and let me know what you find!

One really interesting thing I found out by reading this book was that Canada actually interned Italian citizens during World War II.  Many officials from the Son's of Italy were led away to camps.  More information can be found at Italian Canadians as Enemy Aliens: Memories of World War II.   I was so happy that I did not find my grandfather on the list of those internees.  I do remember my mother telling me that it was not popular to be from Italy and they were looked down upon. In fact in school she could not use her Italian sounding surname, but had it Americanized.  So, sad.   

Comments

Popular Posts