Mary Crowley Death Record

I found the following record that I believe may be the death record from 1885 of our Mary Finnicane Crowley. 


Part one, click to enlarge, right click to save.

Part one, click to enlarge, right click to save.

The big problem I have with this record is that it doesn't have a husband's name on it, and her age is about 5 years off from the 1880 census.  When I was recently at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City,  I went to the Research Desk to get some help.  I showed them the information I had and asked if they felt this could be "my" Mary Crowley.  I was told it could be a good match.  

I have sent the following letter to St. Patrick's Parish  in Lowell and will also send it to Saint John the Evangelist Parish in North Chelmsford.   This is what the letter said:

Dear St John Parish,

I am hoping that you will be able to help me.  I have several ancestors who attended your parish in the late 1800’s.  I have been searching for information regarding Mary Finnicane Crowley wife of Jeremiah Crowley for many years.   I am hoping you can help me. 

She seems to have disappeared and I would love to know what happened.  I know that the family lived in Chelmsford.  They are listed in the 1880 Census as:
Jeremiah Crowley -  Head
Mary Crowley - Wife
John Crowley (my grandfather) - Age 6
Ann Crowley  - Age 4
Mary E. Crowley - Age 1        
They had a fourth child born in 1882 in Chelmsford named Joseph Patrick Crowley.
From there Mary Crowley disappears.  I have found a record of a Mary Crowley who died on 21 Aug 1885 in Chelmsord.  I believe this may be her.  However, I am unable to confirm it is the correct Mary Crowley because it does not list a spouse.   An interesting thing noted on this death record was the cause of death was an abortion. I am wondering if you could shed light on what would happen to a Catholic woman who died due to complications from an abortion at this time period.  Would they be allowed to be buried in a Catholic Cemetery?  I could not find this particular Mary Crowley buried in St. Patrick’s cemetery, as many of my family are, or any other cemetery in the Lowell area.

Do you have record of this family that you would be able to share with me? 

Please find included in this letter a self address stamped envelope and $10 as a contribution to your parish and to help cover any cost to photocopy records.  I appreciate the spiritual guidance your parish has given to many including my own family members.

I look forward to hearing back from you.  Thank you for your help. 

Sincerely,
Cindy Price

I really hope I get a response and that has useful information. 

Comments

Popular Posts