Missing Person Found

This is a poem I wrote after my first experience dipping my toe into genealogy. I had sent for the social security application for Josephine Scaffiddi and was super excited to see that it listed her parents as Silvianio and Rosaria Gianetti. It was like she jumped out of the page and was starting right at me. I later had the opportunity to perform her baptism and confirmation and sealing to her parents in the Los Angeles Temple. Mom, I don't know if you have a copy of the poem so I thought I would share it here. I will try to not be embarrassed.

Missing Person Found
For many years you had been lost
But I gave you no thought.
You were just a name.
I did not look, for you were gone,
An enigma to my thought,
Until that day came.
I had searched for days, for anyone
To no avail
When I found a clue
That led me to wonder if this person was you.
I waited and waited
As one waits for the mail.
I will never forget the day that it came
I opened the letter
And found you inside
Many years before you had died.
And at that moment
The veil was so thin
As I trembled and wept
At your presence within.
Now go home to your Father
And someday I'll see
You with the rest of our family.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts